The Andries DuBois House in Wallkill, New York, is a unique historic structure that retains traces of its complex architectural evolution. Originally constructed in c. 1769 as the homestead of a large farm located on the east bank of the Wallkill Creek, the original house appears to have been destroyed by fire in the late 18th century. The structure was rebuilt and enlarged as a Federal style house in c. 1814, and then further altered in c. 1845 and remodeled in the Greek Revival style. The evolution of these changes can be seen in altered window and door openings on the east and south facades, smooth finished beams at first floor ceilings that were concealed by mid-nineteenth century plaster ceilings, and doors, windows, and associated trim that are characteristic of the Greek Revival style design details.
Mr. Petito, as principal and project manager for John G. Waite Associates, Architects, PLLC, led a project team to document the Andries DuBois House with a historic structure report and measured drawings. The report contains a history of the ownership of the building and an analysis of the evolution of its form and finishes. Examination of the house revealed significant mid- and late-nineteenth century interior features and finishes. The existing conditions section of the report recorded the condition of materials and finishes of the exterior and interior of the building. Problems of repair were also observed and inventoried. Restoration recommendations were prioritized so that damaging conditions would be remedied in the immediate future, while less serious problems that would not affect the long-term stability of the structure could be accomplished as funds became available.
As a first phase toward the stabilization and restoration of the building, Mr. Petito directed the preparation of contract documents for removal of a 20th century porch, brick repointing, repair of wood siding, windows and doors, and exterior repainting. A section of the façade that had been concealed by the later porch was left unpainted so that the bonding pattern of the underlying brickwork can be seen when a new porch, based on photos of the 19th century porch, is reconstructed in the future.